I am taking myself to the skating rink tomorrow and am going to attempt to skate without having a panic attack, leaving without getting on the floor, peeing my pants, or all three. I don’t know how to skate. It looks like a lot of fun and good exercise. These are two things I want to cultivate more of in my life and all the better if they are together! So I am hoping I won’t “fall down and die” and will in fact be able to learn to skate and enjoy it.
I have a laundry list of simple things, like skating, that I just haven’t done. I grew up hearing “you might fall down and die” and countless other scary things to discourage activity. I sometimes heard this directly and sometimes indirectly, but the message was clear and my childhood was remarkably inactive.
I am determined to at least try the things on the list below. It’s my bucket list of sorts. Some of these are SIMPLE, but I’ve never done them and it seems like I ought to before I do in fact fall down and die. 🙂 I started the list in May, so I’ve been able to mark off a couple of things!
1. Learn to skate
3. Learn to canoe
4. Ride a horse
See the Atlantic Ocean
6. See the Pacific Ocean
7. Travel outside the U.S.
8. Publish a book
9. Get my L.C.S.W.
10. Perform at a poetry slam
11. Ride a Ferris wheel (totally scared to do this).
12. Ride a roller coaster (really? hmm, maybe not.)
13. Learn to read tarot without using the book
14. Learn more about the Kabbalah.
15. Go indoor rock climb.
16. Take a poetry class – okay, not scary but I have NEVER taken a poetry class and I’m a writer who writes mostly poetry.
17. Become fluent in Spanish.
18. Walk on fire.
19. Ride in a hot air balloon.
20. Join a kick ball team (this is a self-confidence block)